12 October 2008

Charmed, I'm Sure...

Oh, Chanel. I must say I'm completely in love with the Spring '09 collection shown during Paris Fashion Week. I know, I'm a little behind in posting this so I'll keep it short, but I just can't help myself. It's so completely fabulous. However, instead of my top five picks I'd just like to note an observation. Designers often take inspiration from all sorts of things, creating the theme of a new collection around them. As I've mentioned before, film costumes are just one example of drawing on a certain look and incorporating aspects of it into designs. What we see worn in films also, as I mentioned before as well, has an impact on what we buy and wear.

Photos [Style.com]

When I first looked over the Spring '09 Chanel collection, I instantly loved it. I was particularly attracted to the beautiful dresses near the end of the show, some of which are pictured above. I was also struck by how familiar they seemed. I don't know where Karl drew his inspiration from for this collection, but does anyone else think these dresses seem a bit "Audrey Hepburn-esque?" My Fair Lady? Anyone?


It isn't merely that I think they look like something she would wear. To me, they seem almost reinterpreted, and more modern versions of dresses she wore in some of her films. It's all in the details, colors and cuts. I'm kind of loving the idea actually. So, if in fact that was the goal for this collection, I'd say it was achieved and I'd rock any one of those dresses.

Goodnight!

-B

No comments: