25 September 2008

Fashion Inspiration: Clueless

Like me, I'm sure many other girls were absolutely giddy when Clueless came out back in the day and revealed a whole world of fashion. Cher and Dionne were the epitome of cool and trendy and definitely knew their designer labels and all the best stores for shopping. Perhaps the exaggerated stylings of the Clueless crew were back then what the exaggerated stylings of films such as The Devil Wears Prada and the upcoming Confessions of a Shopaholic are for today's teen girls (and, yes, still me even though I'm past my teen years).

I digress...my point is that films like these are great influencers on fashion and what becomes "stylish" and "trendy." Case in point:

Photos: Beckerman Jacket [Shopbop], Cher [Google]

This morning after reading that with the checkout code SHOPBOPSECRET you can get 20% off regular priced jackets and sweaters, I decided to browse a bit to see what I could see. What I discovered was the above Charlotte Plaid Tux Jacket by Beckerman. It bears a striking resemblance to the yellow plaid jacket and skirt ensemble that Cher wore early on in Clueless, no? Yes, the cut is obviously different and the plaid stripes are more defined, but I think it's pretty clear that the influence of these fashiony films remains quite strong.

What do you think? Into the yellow plaid look à la Cher? Hmm, I wonder if there's a matching skirt for that? Hahaha....

-B

No comments: