04 September 2008

We're Not in Kansas Anymore...

I'm a little behind posting on some of Fall televisions recent premieres...I know, I know, and I was SO excited for Gossip Girl! I did watch, just been terribly busy. GG got off to kind of a slow, catch-up start, but hey, it was summer, right? As usual, the fashion was fab (loved B's Marc by MJ dress for the White Party!).

Anyway, what I really want to discuss is the CW's latest venture, the new 90210. From my various blog readings, I gather that most were underwhelmed, as was I.

On a personal level, the premise was sort of amusing, having a Kansas family move to Beverly Hills so that Dad can
move into his mother's mansion to take care of her and take over as principal of the high school. See, I am actually from Kansas. I can't tell you how many times I've heard Wizard of Oz/Dorothy jokes/comments since moving to NY.

Character rants: First of all, not that I have anything
against her, but what is Becky from Full House doing here? I'm just not sure about that. And did anyone else notice how much of a twig Shenae Grimes (who plays Annie, pictured) has become since her Degrassi days? Girl has seriously slimmed down.

The popular girl, Naomi, who likes to flo
at about in tons of Chanel was not my favorite. Also, she and her coke-addicted-friend-who's-name-I-can't-remember-and-am-too-lazy-to-look-up are have terrible fashion sense...well, actually to be fair, it isn't just those two. They ALL have terrible fashion sense. Can we say boring? Uninspired?

To give them a little credit, while not fashionable like GG, perhaps this is an accurate portrayal of Beverly Hills high school students? One of my freshman year roommates was from Beverly Hills (she act
ually went to the high school where Clueless was filmed) and her daily uniform usually consisted of jeans, a tank and flip-flops almost year-round. So, maybe they weren't too far off. Of course, that is not what we, the audience, want to see. We need dramatic colors, trend-setting accessories and Chuck Bass-esque Cali style. How about a little creativity in the fashion department? Surely Californians are more fashionable than these kids appear to be. If you need help, I'd be willing to come on as a stylist.

Well, at least we have a little eye candy in the form of Ethan. He's your typical sports star (lacrosse) popular guy. Although he kind of looked either stoned or tired throughout much of the first two episodes, he is nice to look at.

While the premiere didn't thrill me, I think it's too soon to completely write it off. I'll be watching next week to see if things get more interesting. Maybe some of the olds (Jennie, Shannen) will see some more action in the future.

-B
Photos [IMDB]

No comments: